Often time, leaders are overwhelmed by the challenges of their calling. The work of the ministry do get so engaging that effective prayer is being pushed aside if not completely quenched.
This teaching is meant to help us keep our relationship at the horizontal and vertical level going smoothly. We must be close enough to know the mind of God and be near enough to bless the lives of the people.
Tips that will help your prayer life
- Choose a specific place to pray away from distractions so you can concentrate. Ringing phones and crying children will sabotage your quiet time before it gets started.
- Pray at the same time every day. If at all possible. Make it part of your regular routine and it will become habit. Write it into your schedule and then treat it just like a daily appointment
- Pray out loud. Many people can pray under their breath or in the mind for long period and will maintain intensity, but for moot of us, it’s a quick ticket to dreamland. When we pray out loud we have to form intelligent sentences. We have to concentrate more on what we’re praying about.
- Keep a note pad handy. So you can jot down different things that come to your mind while you’re before the Lord. Sometimes you’ll get great ideas totally unrelated to what you’ve been praying about. If you jot them down you can quickly get back to the topic at hand without being too distracted
- Make a list to keep track of your prayer needs. This can be done several ways. Prayer need can be listed by category like ‘church’ family’, ‘unsaved friend;, or they may be listed by the days of the include prayer everyday for a different are of society that has a tremendous influence on the direction of our nation. These seven categories include
- The church and religion
- The family and the home
- The media
- Business and commerce
- The arts and entertainment
6. Redeem time for praying out of unused corners of your schedule. Those who have to drive to work can use the time talking with the Lord instead of searching at traffic (just don’t close your eyes). Busy homemakers can combine prayer with housework, especially if the task doesn’t require a lot of concentration, jogger, swimmers and cyclists can use their time for prayer.
7. Change the pace during your prayer time. Include praise thanksgiving and singing as well as petition. Spend some of your time reflecting on the scriptures, meditating on it digesting it meaning.
8. Keep prayer journal. Here are two variation of this idea. The first is to keep track of what you prayed for and when prayed for it. Leave a space to jot down the answer when it comes. This will help you keep alert to God’s answer so you can thank Him promptly. Sometimes prayer answers come in the back of the door and you don’t want them to slip by you. The second variation is to write the entire prayer in your journal. Make a personal letter to the Lord on a daily basis. Just write ‘Dear Lord’ instead of ‘Dear Dairy’.
9. Pray with some else. Though some prayer can only be said in solitude, there will be times when you’ll want to join hearts with another person in prayer. If you commit to meet on a regular basis, the accountability can really build consistency. Such prayer tryst can become powerful, life changing events.
10. Pray one sentence prayer. If the thought of labouring over a topic wears you out, pray short, sincere prayers instead. A sentence or two may be all that is needed to exhaust the topic for your brevity.
11. Pray for others passionately. Do not be selfish in your prayers. Make it a duty to always take the need of others to God in prayers.
12. Always close with worship. Give God praise and trust him for answers to your prayers